Head Teacher (Primary)
Line Manager/ Reports to
Insert as applicable e.g. Governing Body
Insert as applicable
Insert as applicable
Job Ref & about the school
Social Media info etc
|To lead and manage the school to ensure the achievement of excellent educational standards and to promote and safeguard the welfare of pupils in accordance with the national curriculum and agreed standards and criteria.
Overall responsibility for managing:
(i) teaching and learning support in accordance with the national curriculum and applying appropriate syllabus, materials and schemes of work
(ii) evaluation, assessment and reporting of pupils’ work
(iii) supervisory duties, administrative routines and duties, pastoral and curricular matters in accordance with school policies
Contribute to the work of the school as a whole and groups within it.
Main Tasks/Duties and Responsibilities
|Responsibility to staff and direct the school:
– direct and maintain strategy and the agreed vision of the school and ensure that the vision is shared and understood
– create and attain agreed objectives and operational plans to achieve improvement.
– manage the school to promote a culture of encouragement, support and challenge in order to achieve each child’s full potential and the highest possible educational standards
– promote creativity, innovation and use of appropriate new technology and methods
– develop, motivate and lead all staff to achieve the highest professional standards
– the smooth running of the school
– training and development of the staff
– maintain overall responsibility for performing all duties in compliance with related legal/statutory, regulations, professional duties, responsibilities and obligations
Day to day responsibility
– manage, direct and monitor the overall performance of the school
– direct the development of plans for the school to include performance improvement and to achieve targets
– create a culture of learning, growth, support, motivation and development for pupils and staff to achieve highest standards
– direct and manage change and development for the school
– develop, design and implement the curriculum in a way which inspires and engages all pupils
– monitor, evaluate and review classroom practice and methods and promote improvement
– consistent and continuous pupil assessment and achievement, using appropriate data and benchmarks to set, monitor, track and evaluate individual pupil progress
– challenge and remedy under-performance
– maintain discipline whilst motivating pupils and facilitating their development to meet agreed targets
– develop and manage the school’s “life”, and pastoral and curricular activities outside of classes
– responsibly use resources and control expenses to meet budgetary controls and manage the school finances effectively, working closely with relevant bodies
– manage, update and develop school policies
– maintain sound procedures for the security, supervision and maintenance of the school
– build and maintain effective relationships and liaison, support, advice and assistance with pupils, staff, parents and all external parties
– maintain and develop existing community links
– utilise appropriate systems to manage the school’s functions, analysis, documentation and accurate records
– subject to agreed criteria, recruitment, training, support, set action and targets, appraise and manage performance, development, coaching and general support of all staff to ensure targets are met
– delegate authority and responsibility to team with supervision, accountability and review
– set an example for staff and pupils of commitment and dedication, ethics, habits and personal character
– adhere to all school policies and procedures
– work with parents and governors to maximise their involvement in the school and the development of resources for it
– adhere to and promote all school values, policies and procedures
– maintain your professional development and maintain currency with the curriculum and current educational thinking and practice by personal study and attendance at courses, workshops, meetings and reviews
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered by the latest applicable Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document as modified by your Line Manager.
You will work within the framework of national legislation, including Education Acts from 1994 (and Schoolteachers Pay and Conditions Act 1987 and 1995 documents), as regularly reviewed and amended.
From time to time you may be expected to perform other duties/be part of special projects as are reasonably required of your job role.
You are responsible for your allocated workload and must meet all targets as agreed with your Line Manager. You must contribute towards the smooth running of the school generally.
|The role is part of the whole school team and as such requires you to use perform such reasonable tasks that are required, as and when necessary, to maintain, promote, develop and expand the school, its pupils and its interests generally.
You must carry out your duties to the best of your ability, having consideration for the needs of your colleagues, and the School and its pupils. You must obey all lawful and reasonable orders given to you and comply with the school’s rules, procedures and policies
Management and use of equipment
You are responsible for the equipment provided to you for use in your job role. This means you must ensure equipment is used in accordance with training provided, all the school’s policies and procedures and the law and using, where applicable any safety equipment or Personal Protective Equipment provided. You are responsible for ensuring that the equipment used by you is maintained and can be operated at all times.
Essential Abilities/ Competencies of this job role
– qualifications sufficient to perform the job role – insert as applicable and required
– certification – insert as applicable
– to have been subject to an enhanced CRB disclosure
– languages required – insert as applicable
– experience in this type of job role – insert as applicable e.g. minimum 5 years
– thorough understanding of school management, requirements and dynamics – insert specific as applicable
– leadership with ability to manage and motivate in a school environment
– excellent analytical, interpersonal, organisational, observation and communication skills
– a proven ability to coach and develop others
– a high degree of integrity and honesty in all dealings
– proven ability to coach and develop others
– motivated and dedicated to “vocation”
– be friendly and approachable and a team player
– good attention to detail
– demonstrable time management and class management skills
– ability to work under pressure
– full driving licence
insert anything else required
You need to have and maintain (with regular training and updates as necessary) the knowledge, technical skills and qualifications that are necessary to perform your job role to comply with the requirements of the school and any applicable rules, regulations (particularly of any professional body) and with any law which applies to your job role.
|C – £65,000
|insert details of any benefits
Approved by Name
Insert details as applicable