MBA, Finance, from Institute of Business Administration, Karachi, Pakistan. 2000.
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, from N.E.D. University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan. 1993.
QA/QC Manager, [ July 2005 to date ]
at Factory Abdulla B. Al-Khalifa & Partners Co. Heavy Industries Ltd, Jubail, Saudi Arabia.
Responsibilities – Inspection Activities:
- § Monitoring and managing the Quality Control activities during manufacturing process and at site erection projects. The manufacturing processes include receiving material inspection of structural steel shapes and flat products, CNC cutting, drilling and marking operations, fabrication, welding and coating of structural steel, Pressure Vessels as per ASME VIII Div 1, API Storage Tanks, Air/Gas and Steam Ducts as per ASME B31.3, Stacks, Reformers, Silos, Combustion chambers, Evaporators, etc.
- § Planning and managing Quality Control activities at various construction sites. Site projects include erection of structural steel, storage tanks, ducts, reformers for various EPC contractors.
- § Preparing procedures and method statements for fabrication process, NDE, painting, hydro-testing, vacuum box testing, material handling and storage, fabrication, welding and other inspections.
- § Implementing quality control procedures/ manual for conducting day to day operations, tests and inspections of products, services or processes within company and at site projects.
- § Planning and implementing all the inspection and testing requirements as per ASME Section VIII Div1 for the fabrication of Pressure Vessels from material planning and procurement, fabrication, welding, NDE, hydro-testing, coating till delivery.
- § Planning and implementing all the inspection and testing requirements as per API 650 and API 620 for the shop fabrication and site erection works of Storage Tanks from material planning and procurement, fabrication, welding, NDE, vacuum box testing, PWHT, hydro and pneumatic testing, tank calibration, coating and insulation before handing over to contractor for commissioning.
- § Organizing and handling labor work force, coordinating with clients, consultants, contractors, inspection follow-up, expediting deliveries and site QA/QC management.
- § Evaluation of quality and performance as per client specification.
- § Monitoring and managing the preparation of Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) and Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) for different projects as per AWS D1.1 and ASME IX for structural steel, pressure vessels, storage tanks and ducting fabrication and welding.
- § Monitoring the qualification process of welders and welding operators as per AWS D1.1 and ASME IX.
- § Managing and controlling the calibration activities of all testing and measuring instruments and welding machines internally and by third party calibration agency.
- § Monitoring and Controlling inspection activities carried out at sub-contractors specially for galvanizing and painting of steel structure and other equipments.
- § Monitoring the preparation of all records and documentation related to daily inspection activities and preparation of Manufacturing Record Book (MRB) for all fabricated items.
- § Participating in Technical inquiry meetings, project Kick-off meetings, Pre-inspection meetings and project progress meetings with EPC Contractors.
- § Preparation and submission of quality documents to clients for various projects according to construction standards (AWS, ASME, API) and project specifications. The documents include Project Quality Plan, Inspection and Test Plan, welding book and other project specific inspection and testing procedures
- § Interaction and coordination with clients during client system and process audits. The major clients include SAUDI ARAMCO, SABIC, SHELL, SADARA, CHIYODA, MOBIL, KBR, FLUOR, JACOBS, WORLEY PARSONS, JGC, SAMSUNG, DAELIM and other reputable international EPC contractors.
Responsibilities – Implementation of ISO 9001 Quality Management System:
- § As Quality Management Representative for the company, responsible for all the activities with regards to implementation, certification and maintenance of ISO 9001 quality management system. The core responsibilities include writing the quality manual, procedures and other system documentation.
- § Effectively manage the company’s Internal Audit function and provide an independent, cost effective and efficient internal audit to all processes companywide and in a manner that will accomplish the department’s corporate objectives.
- § Monitoring of corrective and preventive actions against internal NCR and customer complaints.
- § Conducting ISO 9001 awareness trainings in the company for new inductees.
- § Conducting vendor/ supplier assessment audits for determining their capability and quality system to include them as approved vendor/ supplier for specific jobs such as galvanizing, grating fabrication, NDE, electrode and other supplies.
- § Liaising with third party certification agency for annual surveillance and re-certification audits. Successfully managed annual audits by TUV for last nine years.
- § Advise to the management about the performance of Quality Management System.
Responsibilities – ASME U-Stamp Certification:
- § Preparing the company for ASME U stamp certification.
- § Preparing the Quality Manual and procedures for the company certification of ASME U-stamp for pressure vessels.
- § Conducting basic trainings about ASME codes for the employees of the company.
- § Liaise with ASME consultant and ASME certification body for preparation of Joint Review.
Major Projects Completed:
- § Worked as Project Quality Manager during the fabrication and erection of API Storage Tanks at Al-Waha project for Daelim. Four storage tanks were erected, inspected, hydro-tested and painted at site with partial fabrication work done at AK& P workshop.
- § Worked as Project Quality Manager during the fabrication and erection of API Storage Tanks at Petrokemya project for CBI. Two storage tanks were erected, inspected, hydro-tested and painted at site with partial fabrication work done at AK& P workshop.
- § Fabrication and delivery of four units of Condensate Tanks (pressure vessels) , Manifolds (as per ASME VIII div 1) and Steam Ducts (as per ASME B31.3) for air fan cooler structure to Pearl GTL project- Qatar for BTT.
- § Fabrication and delivery of more than 25000 ton of structural steel to RAS GAS Qatar site for CHIYODA.
- § Fabrication and delivery of more than 27000 ton of structural steel for SADARA project for different clients including Fluor, Jacobs, Daelim.
- § Fabrication and delivery of two units of reformer casings, hot air ducts, cold air ducts, stacks and structural steel to SATORP project for Tecnimont KT.
- § Fabrication and delivery of more than 10000 ton of structural steel to SATORP project for Daelim and Samsung.
- § Fabrication and delivery of more than 5000 ton of structural steel for YANSAB project for FLUOR.
- § On average, more than 30000 ton of structural steel per year fabricated, galvanized/painted, inspected and delivered to different projects in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain , Abu Dhabi.
Manager Quality Control, [ Jan 2004 ~ July 2005 ]
at Dawlance Private Limited, Karachi, Pakistan.
- § Looked after the Quality Control activities during manufacturing of Refrigerators, Deep Freezers, and Washing Machines. The facilities include sheet metal working, injection moulding, plastic sheet extrusion, thermoforming of plastic sheet and assembly of refrigerators, Deep Freezers and Washing Machine.
Deputy Manager QA & Development, [ Sept 1995 ~ Dec 2003 ]
at Peoples Steel Mills Ltd., Karachi, Pakistan.
Responsibilities – Inspection and Testing Activities:
- § Managed the team that performs process and final inspection of various grades of steel in the melting shop. The process includes melting in blast furnace, vacuum degassing, casting in ingots or continuous billet caster. Inspection activities includes sampling for chemical analysis at different stages of melting, process parameters monitoring like casting temperatures, cooling rates and heat treatment requirements afterwards.
- § Final Inspection of ingots and billets for casting defects before releasing for next process.
- § Monitoring in-process and final inspection of various grades of steel in rolling shops (plate rolling and billets rolling) to form plates, sheets, flat and round bars.
- § Monitoring in-process and final inspection in forging shop – die forging and free-forging.
- § Monitoring in-process and final inspection of various high alloy steel grades shafts/ bars forged on state of the art Rota-forging machine.
- § Monitoring the inspection activities in cold drawing of bars and cold rolling of carbon and stainless steel sheets.
- § Monitoring the testing activities performed in the state of the art metallurgical testing laboratory. The testing facilities included Spectrometers with wide range of alloy grade programs, Special analyzers for Carbon, Sulfur, Nitrogen and Hydrogen content in steel, metallography lab, wet chemical analysis lab, and physical testing lab (Hardness testers, impact testing machine and universal tensile testing machine).
- § Performed defect analysis for the problems coming during the rolling or forging of new alloy grades under development stage. Also performed failure analysis of various external samples.
- § Attending customer complaints, after doing detailed study on the complaints and problems highlighted by the customers, and then satisfying there concerns.
- § Performed several detailed exercises involving processing of material with customers for the comparison of material produced locally by Peoples Steel Mills with the material imported for the same purpose. The exercises were carried out to prove that locally produced material is compatible or even better than imported material.
- § Performed In-coming material inspection of various raw materials procured from different sources. The inspections include visual inspection, sampling and testing as per standards.
Responsibilities – ISO 9001 QMS Implementation:
- § Worked as Deputy Management Representative for the successful implementation of ISO-9001:1994 Quality Management System at Peoples Steel Mills Ltd.
- § Worked on the Development of QMS documentation i.e., Quality Manual, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions for the Implementation of ISO 9001.
- § Later on, worked on updating of the documentation as per the ISO 9001-2000 standard.
- § Conducted several internal audits of the company.