Experienced telecommunications equipment installer,tester and commissioner, excellent project management skills, network design and management skills, network optimization skills, training , strong communication skills, project costing,contract management ,works supervision, good analytical skills, good team work abilities, wide international working experience in several African countries. Have worked for both Siemens and Italtel spa in several African countries on a number of telecom projects
Currently am working as a senior network and systems engineer with Italtel Kenya ltd, the Kenyan based subsidiary of Italian Telecommunications Company, Italtel spa, one of the leading suppliers of telecommunication equipment and network solution providers in Europe with a sizable market share of the European, African and South American telecommunications markets.
Many of the years of my working experience have been in the business of installation, Testing and commissioning of network equipment, project engineering and project management, network management and training services ,network design and optimization ,provision of after sales support services to telecommunication and ISP service providers using some the latest technological innovations of the day.
I have worked ,engineered and managed various projects in a number of African countries These include: Kenya, Sierra Leone, Swaziland and Mozambique
I have worked on several projects –for the same company –in the above named African countries in different capacities as described below.
High school education:
East African advanced certificate of Education (EAACE), with three principle passes and one subsidiary from King’s college Budo
East African certificate of Education (EACE), 1st Division from Jinja Senior Secondary School
Masters of Science in telecommunications engineering, (M.Sc.), from the Moscow institute of Communications, Moscow
(Renamed Moscow Technical University of Informatics and Communications)
– I have attended several courses on switching technology at both the Italtel and Siemens training centers in Milan, Italy
-I have undergone extensive training on CC7 signaling protocols.
-I have trained on the Italtel iMSS ( Italtel multi solution system ) soft switch and the Cisco MGX 8800 Media Gateway.
– I am a certified Cisco Network Associate (CCNA) .Currently am pursuing the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and the CCNP ( Voice ) certification course
• Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using written and spoken English including the ability to provide clear, constructive feedback to team members
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others; conducts working relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
• Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
• Demonstrated capacity for gathering/scrutinizing data to identify issues, opportunities, patterns, and sustainable business solutions
• Proficient knowledge of Windows-based computers and Microsoft Office programs; specifically, Excel, Outlook, Project and Word
• Ability to effectively coach and train others in order to produce successful project results
• Proficient ability to monitor, troubleshoot and maintain network systems and solutions to ensure efficient operations; working knowledge of protocol analyzers and network monitoring software.
• Proficient ability to manage enterprise IP addressing schemes
• Proficient knowledge of enterprise LANs/VLANs, WANs, WLANs, VoIP and other networking technologies
• Proficient knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP/IP, BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, IPSEC, and other networking protocols
• Proficient knowledge of networking hardware including Cisco routers, switches, ASAs, VPN as well as IPS/IDS implementations
Extensive knowledge in the installation, testing and commissioning of big PSTN switches in different configurations like End-offices, Toll and Tandem modes.
• Good hardware, network and database management configuration skills
• Excellent maintenance and troubleshooting capabilities
• Articulate, confident and consistent in providing solutions in complex situations
• Good organizational skills, flexible and a skilled team player capable of working and achieving results with people for the mutual benefit of an organization.
• Dependable and reliable in supporting and enabling achievement of business plans and personal goals of staff and company
• Projects management skills , Network management skills for large and medium networks
• Network optimization skills
2005 to date
Head of Engineering (Senior network and systems engineer)
Italtel Kenya Limited, Nairobi
Senior Engineer, (Network management and Support services for Africa region) ,
Italtel Kenya Limited
Senior Test engineer, (Testing and commissioning services) ,
Italtel Kenya Limited
Dec 1996- July 1997
Technical Service Manager
Sharp Electronics Technologies limited, Nairobi
June 1996 Nov 1996
Wilken Telecommunications Limited, Nairobi
August 1988- May 1993
Siemens Telecommunications Kenya Limited
June 1993- May 1996
Senior Test Engineer,
Siemens Telecommunications Kenya limited
Dec 1987- Aug 1988
Assistant Engineer, (Electronics)
Kenya Broadcasting Corporation
Overseas working experience:
All my overseas experience has been seconded by my current employer, Italtel in the capacity of a Consultant/ Project engineer to several African countries, details of which are given below.
August -December 1998
Freetown (Sierra Leone),
I was seconded to SIERATEL; the Sierra Leone government owned Telecommunications Company as a consultant to help with network re-organization and expansion.
October 1999 -December 2000
I was again seconded to SIERATEL as a consultant, this time to help rehabilitate the network in Freetown which had extensively been damaged as a result of the civil war between government and RUF rebel forces just before the end of 1999.
Seconded to the National telecommunications company (TDM) to help reconfigure the national network in preparation for the Year 2000 transformation
January –November 2003
Consultant / Project manager
I was once again seconded to SIERATEL but this time as a project engineer / project manager for the installation and commissioning of 3 digital PSTN switches ( a base station and 3 remote switches ) in the 3 towns of Freetown, Bo and Kenema .
February /March 2007
Seconded to the Swazi Posts and Telecommunication Corporation to help setup a centralized billing data collection center.
1 As a senior systems test and network engineer with Italtel Kenya limited, I have been credited with leading teams in successfully installing, testing and commissioning of a number of digital exchanges in several urban centers in Kenya for Telkom Kenya limited, the most recent being the commissioning of 2 new switches in Mombasa and Kisumu towns .
2 Have been seconded severally to Mozambique, Swaziland and Sierra Leone as a consultant and/or project engineer to lead a team of engineers to commission or rehabilitate national networks.
In the period 1998/99, I lead technical team involved in the rehabilitation of the telephone system in Freetown following the rebel incursion the previous year with great success which led to my being seconded several times to same country on other projects as listed above
3 As the service manager at Sharp Electronics Technologies limited, my responsibilities included, among others things:
. Overall administration and supervision of the technical department,
. Stores and stock control,
. Service contract negotiation,
. Customer service desk supervision,
. Staff training, evaluation and recruitment,
. Budget control,
. Vehicle control,
. Project costing including computation of labor costs for new installations,
. Maintenance contracts’ negotiation and,
. Subcontracts negotiations among others
4 As the Projects manager at Wilken Telecommunications, my duties included but not limited to:
. Project supervision,
. Supervision of the technical team,
. Labor charge quotation
. Service contract negotiation and management
. Site surveys
. New equipment (PABX and Radios) type approval
. Staff evaluation
. Travel control for the technical team
1 Name : Dr Wilber Lwande
Tel +254 20 8632040
+254 722 206017
2 Name : Fred Muzungyo
Formerly general manager human resources
Kenya Railways corporation
Tel +254 722 723310
3 Name :Engineer P N Mwangi
Tel +254 722 512917
E-mail : pnmwangi@ necnairobi.co.ke
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.