Inventive and independent programmer of software and electronics in many different fields and applications, with a BEng in Applied Cybernetics and Control Engineering and 5 years experience in the special effects and robotics industry. Sole programmer for million euro defence projects and bespoke software and hardware solutions. Advanced levels of skill with a wide range of programming languages and cutting-edge technologies, including large motor and motion control systems.
Software: Microsoft Visual Studio, Qt, Arduino IDE, MBed IDE, Microsoft Office, Geomagic, Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks, Eclipse, GIMP, Adobe Premiere Pro
Platforms: Windows, Arduino and various microprocessors, Motor Controllers, National Instruments hardware
Electronics Engineer / Programmer, November 2013 – Present
“Star Wars – Episode VII” – Pinewood Studios, UK & Micromagic Systems, Winchester, UK
• Due to the film being currently in production the specifics of the work cannot be divulged. However it includes animatronics, electronics, and a large amount of software development.
Robotics Engineer / Head of Computer Systems, June 2009 – Present
Crawley Creatures / i-bodi – Buckingham, UK
Sole programmer for almost 5 years, working on a large variety of projects including animatronic museum pieces, television work, and large defence projects for various countries. One half of a two man team that designs and manufactures all major projects, developing all software and firmware for controlling bespoke hardware solutions. Responsibilities include – innovative and intuitive software solutions for user interfaces, large motor and motion control systems, microprocessor programming, circuit design, and systems integration. Work involving animatronic creatures usually involves servo control, sound systems, and 3D scanning and printing for model creation. Projects include:
F.A.S.T.Man – A full scale articulated carbon composite mannequin capable of heating to body temperature and sweating. Used in the testing of chemical protection suits, the mannequin is computer controlled using completely bespoke software and is capable of performing various actions such as walking, running, crouching, and sitting.
• 9 individually controlled motor drivers, 11 wireless boards each controlling a heated zone using a bespoke control loop algorithm, and together controlling 62 sweat points, all controlled from a National Instruments Real Time PXI unit connected to a computer running a custom made and intuitive interface.
• Worked together with end users to develop an interface that gave full control over the system while still creating a completely intuitive interface that allowed them to use the hardware with full confidence in a matter of hours.
New Porton Man – Another full scale articulated carbon composite mannequin, incorporating a turntable, breathing machine, and animatronic head.
• All components are wirelessly controlled using bespoke software/firmware on each unit.
• Custom PCBs were designed, produced, and programmed in-house.
• Total manufacture time was less than a year.
Respirator Testing Headform – Articulated bust with 11 axis of movement to test the seal of respirator units.
• Servos controlled using a custom made controller that communicates with a touch screen operated PC, running completely bespoke software designed specifically to give the user complete control and adjustability over the headform’s movement while still creating a super modern and intuitive interface.
Various museum animatronics projects – Including Gondwana Das Praehistorium, Germany and the Natural History Museum, London
Junior Web Developer, October 2007 – July 2008
Keydata Investment Services – Reading, UK
Ten month placement in order to qualify for an ‘applied’ degree, working as part of an IT team as well as independently on some projects. Quickly became a crucial and valued member of the team, gaining a large amount of experience in website design, web services, database integration, application development and IT help desk support. Projects included:
Telephone System Monitor – Combining an oracle database and a custom made web service to produce a live display board that would keep track of incoming calls, hold times, and telephone support efficiency.
Intranet System – Individual project that redesigned the company’s intranet system, allowing employees to request holiday days and keep track of sick days taken, replacing a very inefficient and paper wasting system.
Education and Qualifications
BSc (Hons) in Applied Cybernetics and Control Engineering, 2009
University Of Reading
Final year project won commendations for
Best BSc Cybernetics Project and Contribution to Interactive Music Processing
Modules: Cybernetics and its Application, Engineering Mathematics, Electronic Circuits, Computer and Internet Technologies, Programming, Software Engineering, Control and Measurement, Systems and Robotics, Neurocomputation, Further Computer Systems, Digital Circuit Design, Signals and Telecoms, Engineering Applications, Computer Controlled Feedback Systems, State Space, Measurement Systems, Virtual Reality, Non-Linear and Optimal Control, Mechatronics, Social Legal and Ethical Aspects of Science and Engineering
Physics, Mathematics, Electronics, and ICT at A Level
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.