I have over 30 years’ experience working in the Postal sector, successfully implementing change, meeting targets and developing and implementing international strategy. A skilled negotiator who is highly effective working in sensitive political and international environments, he combines sound strategic thinking and excellent people skills with relationship management and negotiation skills, to consistently deliver results.
Gary has over 30 years’ experience working in the Postal sector, successfully implementing change, meeting targets and developing and implementing international strategy. A skilled negotiator who is highly effective working in sensitive political and international environments, he combines sound strategic thinking and excellent people skills with relationship management and negotiation skills, to consistently deliver results.
Achievements In Recent Roles
• Set up Jersey Post Global business (part of Jersey Post Group) to exploit international Cross Boarder mail, with operations in the UK, Far East and USA. With revenue expectations in first Year in excess of £5m
• Set up International Office of Exchange in Jersey combining global logistics agreements and delivery arrangements with global postal operators, creating savings for Jersey Post in excess of £600Kpa
• Following the removal of “low value Consignment relief” in Jersey by the UK Government Jersey Post saw revenues decease by 50%. As commercial director, redesigning our commercial objectives and ambitions, stabilised revenue decline in the first year and to see revenue growth in the last 2 financial years and currently running 8% up on 2014 in 2015.
• Successfully Re-organised the Jersey Post Group across 6 Business Units aligning Key skill groups and competencies.
• Negotiating agreements with Key Suppliers with Annual savings of £2.5m
• Negotiated bilateral terminal dues agreements with Royal Mail’s key international partners worth in excess of £100m per annum.
• Negotiated settlements with a number of key postal administrations with excellent financial results, covering years of outstanding agreements.
• Successfully negotiating and implementing 2 commercial agreements with the Channel Islands and Isle of Man which achieved significant double digit rate increase per year over a six year period. Developing a more commercial and co-operative relationship.
• Managed the political fall –out from Royal Mail’s unpopular exit from a multi-lateral postal agreement, managing legal challenges, while banking in excess of £40m over the last 4 years
• Member of Royal Mail’s Negotiating team at the universal Postal Union meetings ( a specialised agency of the United Nations that sets global postal rules) with responsibility for Commercial input and relationship issues.
• Leverage a network of contacts on behalf of Royal Mail for the purpose of lobbying and gathering intelligence, maintain formal contacts with Foreign ministries, regulatory authorities, direct mail organisations, consumer affairs bodies and foreign Postal administrations across the world.
2012 – Present
Commercial Director Jersey Post Group
Board Responsibility for Sales and Marketing within Jersey Post Group including Logistics and Philatelic Business Unit management. Developing Jersey Post International presence, within the global postal market.
2009 – 2013
Service Delivery Director Jersey Post
Board responsibility for Jersey post Operating Companies, Including Postal, Retail, Logistics, and Print and Data Management. Working with a team of 400 staff and with Income Targets in excess of £70m across the Business. The role has responsibility for the Postal Groups Product Strategy, Operational efficiency and cost Management as well as Client Relationship, development.
2001 – 2009
Regional Director, Royal Mail International Royal Mail Group.
Corporate responsibility for developing their commercial and strategic relationships with foreign postal administrations and other key stakeholders. This includes running international trade negotiations, lobbying and influencing at a global and European level as well as formally representing Royal Mail abroad.
1995 – 2001
Regional Director, BPCS Royal Mail Group,
Successfully lead and developed a team of consultants to deliver numerous projects throughout Europe, Middle and Far East. Ranging from change management, business planning operational review, Management Training, retail and operational automation and marketing and brand management.
With responsibility for Sales, customer relationship and project management, working on over 25 projects in over 20 countries.
1992 – 1995
Head of Sales Development, Parcelforce Royal Mail Group,
Responsibility for deployment and development of training programmes for the national sales Force of over 300 people across the UK. Design and deployment of Sales Incentive schemes. Implemented a national review of Sales resource to align more effectively to revenue from existing and new business. Represented Sales for the development and deployment of new courier products.
1989 – 1992
Sales Manager, Parcelforce Royal Mail Group
Led a successful Sales Team across the East Midlands covering Telesales, new business and account management, to twice win National Sales Team of the Year. With responsibility for £25m+ of revenue and 16 people.
1987 – 1989
Key Account Manager, Parcelforce Royal Mail Group
Responsibility for Parcel Force relationships with major business customers across Suffolk and Norfolk meeting and exceeding sales growth and retention targets.
1982 – 1987
Postal Officer, Post Office group, Royal Mail Group,
From school working within many Operational, Retail and Finance roles across the local post Office network in Suffolk. Activities and roles included
Counter Clerk, Christmas Operational planning, Postmaster Training, Sub Post Office Audit and financial review
2013 IOD Certificate in Company Direction
2013 IOD Diploma In Company Direction
2009 Training In Compliance and competition Law.
2006 School Finance Governor
2008 Presentations at Regional postal conferences in South America and Europe
2001 Prince Project and Programme Management training
1995 Diploma in Marketing, Chartered Institute of Marketing
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.