A commercially-driven MANAGING DIRECTOR with broad-ranging expertise and significant knowledge of international business in the Middle-East, Europe & South America. Strategic & motivating with a track-record of increasing shareholder-value; successes include Business turn-around, M&A and JV start-up in developing and mature markets.
Multiple P&L positions consolidate an extensive technical career, highly effective leadership inspires the functional teams, and his extensive relationship & stakeholder experience develops the commercial network to best position the business, stimulate growth from emerging opportunities.
Delivering outstanding results:
- Works closely with the Board of Directors to shape the strategy and direction of the business
- Leads the management team in implementation.
- Motivational leader with natural authority and positive charisma,
- Several years’ as a leader of business units.
- Copes with pressure, assertive and decisive.
- Proven cost management, marketing, sales and project management skills,
- High level of mobility, adaptable to multiple sectors and differing cultures.
- On-line interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNNBXh4VQI
OUTOKUMPU ARMETAL STAINLESS PIPES
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Aug 2012 to Present
A Stainless Steel Pipe Mill formed as a JV with Outokumpu Oy, Finland the world leader in Stainless Steel. Reporting into the JV Board with responsibility for the Middle East Region, identifying opportunities with International Oil Companies, EPC’s and National Utilities and substantially increasing value across each business level.
I quickly identified non value-adding activities taking decisive action to bring in change, transforming a barely sustainable operation into a dominant position in a highly competitive market. Our client portfolio features many world-leading companies in their respective fields. This start-up JV is now winning profitable and sustainable sales from mega-projects in oil & gas, infrastructure, chemical and energy with a rapidly developing domestic and export customer base.
- Transformed a loss-making budget to positive EBITDA in 4 months, exceeding Shareholder expectations.
- Restructured sales department improving revenues by 40%, particular success with major projects in KSA
- Introduced Lean into a new integrated manufacturing and logistics function, significantly improving performance metrics; delivery times, direct cost, levels of customer satisfaction etc. establishing a culture of continuous improvement.
- Consolidated pipe production across 2 lines, outsourcing non-core products to low-cost Asian supply reducing inventory, improving margins on both produced and traded goods, contributing $4m to EBITDA in 1st Year
GENERAL MANAGER (2)
EXEED INDUSTRIES LLC
United Arab Emirates May 2011 to Aug 2012
Based in Abu Dhabi, Exeed Industries LLC operates 8 modern factories with approx. 2,000 employees producing a comprehensive range of Building Materials for the construction industry in the Middle East. I held P&L responsibility for two Business Units in Abu Dhabi reporting directly to the CEO.
EMIRATES FILAMENT FACTORY
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates May 2011 to Aug 2012
The largest Polypropylene Yarn manufacturer in the UAE
- A Business-turnaround; and achieving 3X revenue and 97% plant capacity in 6 months. I conducted overall assessment of the market, process, product and team competencies, developed a winning sales strategy leading to revival of the company with the same team. Returned to profit within 6 months of my joining
- Following approval of an ambitious Business plan, I developed new opportunities for sales in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and UAE negotiating long-term supply agreements with secure margins.
- Further developed sales opportunities in the Spot-Market particularly selling to Pakistan and Libya.
EXEED GLASSWOOL LLC
Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates May 2011 to Aug 2012
A start-up $30m/130 employee, Fibre Insulation Company
- My initial success was to oversee factory completion to Final Acceptance Trials and resolve multiple Technical, Financial and Personnel issues. The Project was 2 years behind schedule at my joining; in six months we were already active in both the Export and Domestic markets performing to budget and contribution expectations, with product certification and integrated ISO Standards all achieved in quick succession.
- Recruited and developed high-performance operational and commercial teams providing leadership and mentoring at all levels, creating Business Plans, Annual Budgets, developing the Marketing Strategy.
- Ultimately the business was underfinanced due to weak capital structure in the parent business; I initiated a JV agreement with KNAUF of Germany. With that equity investment, product re-branding and access to a global R&D resource the business survived as subsidiary of a world-leader in the industry.
MAKSHAFF SERVICES LTD
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia Dec 2008 to Jan 2010
Private company managing the investment portfolio of HRH Prince Khalid bin Sultan bin Abdul Aziz, including aviation, media, hotel and property assets. (References Available)
- Heading up the Engineering Office in Riyadh HQ, providing centralised administration and leadership to subordinate managers across European and GCC countries (8 offices); a prestige client base.
- Consulting Engineer on all capital works and O&M support services, managing high value construction projects ($500m) liaising with governmental, security and military agencies directing international consultants, architects, designers and contractors; a 12 month contract.
- Ownership of CAPEX and from OPEX Budgets across the group, a firm grasp of local business protocols and an ability to deal confidently with a wide range of clients, HRH & Family, CEO’s, forging positive relationships with internal customers and local influencers,
- Upgraded the Department placing new leadership, revitalising the structure, underpinned by robust policies and procedures to form a Build service integrated with FM. In this way I significantly improved operational effectiveness raising response times & reliability performances to a prestige client portfolio.
GROUP CHIEF ENGINEER
LEICESTER PAPER COMPANY (GROUP) LTD
United Kingdom Jun 2007 to Nov 2008
European-wide Paper Manufacturer & Convertor: Hygiene Tissue products (FMCG) for private-label retailers, $500m t/o
- Board appointment with responsibility for standardising and embedding technical standards across a European Group (7 Plants), rigorously complying with British Retail Consortium and Statutory requirements,
- Established a Central Engineering Organisation operating out of India, servicing group-wide assets acting as a valued secondary resource.
- Led CAPEX projects for highly-automated warehousing and converting plant in the UK, considered at that time as State-of-Art for Tissue production.
- Conducted a grass-roots review of current engineering performance ending with new structure, outsourcing services, developing in-house expertise etc., harmonising systems and work methods more suited to a multinational group.
- Introduced Lean tools and techniques to measure and implement continuous improvement across production and packaging lines in modern Paper making and Converting factories.
BAXTER CONSULTANTS LTD
Argentina – United Kingdom Jun 2004 to Jun 2007
A start-up business, identifying market opportunities for Technical & Commercial projects responding to client needs; Strategic Investments, Lean Production & NPD finding further opportunities to diversify into commercial sales without group or brand back-up, networking prospective clients through British Embassies, London Chamber of Commerce and HSBC, working across South America, Asia and Europe.
- Launched Stone Tile import business, managing a supply-chain from Asia, Middle East, South America etc bidding on supply contracts for UK Retail Chains, selling container quantities across UK & Ireland.
- Opened a second office in China, linking Chinese porcelain factories with all leading UK manufacturers including British Ceramic Tile Co. to facilitate their outsourcing needs. Product promotion activities including attending international exhibitions; Italy, UK, USA, Argentina.
United Kingdom Feb 2002 to Jun 2004
Tufted Carpet, Matting, Fabrics and Flooring accessories manufacturer with approximately $100m turnover
- Building Shareholder confidence with an innovative operational management strategy: Lean processes, new product development; stock and supplier consolidation etc. contributing my expertise from the European industry
- Benchmarked group operations against known industry KPI’s, providing detailed Roadmap for Operational Improvement, implementing specific projects designed to raise competitive position,
- Increased customer on-time delivery by 10%, reduced waste and shortened lead times establishing lean manufacturing principles, including Value Stream Mapping, KAN-BAN, Kaizen, OEE, SMED, 5S’s etc.
- Lead role in New Product Development for an expanding range contract interiors products; outsourcing production, developing marketing prototypes, performance testing etc.
- Planned the consolidation of 5 manufacturing sites into a single integrated complex restructuring the business model integrating with the new lean strategy.
- Uncovered efficiencies in the supply chain significantly reducing WIP/ FG Stocks by use of JIT methods, rationalising the supplier base, forging strategic partnerships with Eastern European and Asian factories.
UK GENERAL MANAGER
BONAR FLOORS LTD
United Kingdom Jan 1999 to Feb 2002
European Floorcovering Group, £70m turnover per annum
- A key board appointment with responsibility for two commercial brands leveraging successive improvement in EBDIT from turnover of $70m; overseeing 300 employees through 13 Functional Managers, maintaining growth on gross margins servicing domestic and international customers
- Turnaround in performance by identifying essential quality, cost and customer service failures, establishing Lean as a shift in culture and continuous improvement before roll-out across European plants, generating £800k savings
- Integrated a £10m Rubber Mat manufacturing subsidiary into the larger operation, consolidating systems, sales back-office, logistics, products and processes contributing additional £400k cost saving.
- Launched 4 new products within 6 months; extending lifespan of a mature product range.
- Achieved ISO 9001 & 14001 accreditation with further recognition from British Safety council for both factories.
GROUP TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
FORBO INTERNATIONAL SA
Switzerland May 1988 to Jan 1999
An Executive role at the corporate level in Switzerland with World’s №3 in Floorcovering – turnover $1.8bn
- European based Business Development role, representing the Executive Board to 7 BU’s in 5 countries driving innovation, product and process development, M&A, productivity and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Regulated $100m group CAPEX and strategic Investment portfolio •Investigated options for Greenfield investments as joint venture partnership near Moscow and similar projects on location in India and Poland,
- Project managed European expansion including new logistics centres, laboratories and production facilities from initial design, fully complying with Loss Prevention Standards and NFPA standards.
- Led group efforts in technology transfers and development opportunities, organised & chaired intercompany conferences designed to exchange ideas, best practise and share expertise
- Researched prospective companies in EMEA for merger and acquisitions, technology transfers and IP opportunities
1984-1988 SITE ENGINEER James Howden & Co Ltd Scotland
1997-1984: ENGINEERING STUDENT Edinburgh, Scotland
1977-1979: IRRIGATION ENGINEER Ain Haradh, Saudi Arabia
1975-1977: MAINTENANCE FITTER Scottish Power PLC
1971-1975: APPRENTICE CRAFTSMAN Weir Pumps Ltd, Scotland
Master of Business Administration
3 years Post Graduate Degree (MBA)
Edinburgh University Business School
4 years Undergraduate Degree (Higher National Diploma)
Adam Smith College of Technology
1. Member of Saudi Arabian Council of Engineering
2. Member of Institute of Asset Management (IAM), London