A meticulous and diligent Mine Overseer with more than 25 years in the coal mining industry and an impeccable record in safety management and production planning.
2010-2014 MINE OVERSEER
Coal Mine Management
• Fully responsible for the overall management and running of a coal mine, including personnel, safety, underground visits, and ground control
• Taking ownership for people management of up to 120 members of staff, including four supervisors, ensuring each team member achieves their potential at all times
• Heading up regular strategic planning meetings to ascertain condition of mine, short and long term planning, any arising safety issues, and preventative measurements to avoid and reduce risk of incidents or accidents
• Fostering productive working relationships with supervisors to implement risk profiling and be clear on how production targets can be achieved and maintained
• Taking a zero tolerance approach to safety, enforcing all rules and regulations strictly and concisely to instil a clear message to workers about how paramount safety issues are by setting safety targets and objectives and ensuring all statutory appointments are in place
• Motivating and galvanizing staff underground to ensure they are working to maximum capacity within a safe environment and that processes are being carried out in the optimum manner
• Meticulously inspecting machinery to ensure full working order and cleanliness, relaying any issues or faults to relevant staff or machine operators to resolve satisfactorily
• Constantly mindful of ventilation management, water management, prevention of coal dust explosions, stone dust applications and accumulation of coal dust
• Preventing methane ignitions through a continuous monitoring system and facilitating random tests on roofbolt installations
• Instrumental in recruitment lifecycle including appointing, training, and licensing competent personnel, as well as verifying and testing knowledge of miners and workers to ensure they are up-to-date with latest procedures and processes.
• Won an award for excellence in the workplace
• Selected to open and manage a new shaft that had previously been an open cast coal mine, including full responsibility for all planning and building of infrastructure, safety management of 40 staff, budget and cost control, and installation, extension, and maintenance of conveyer belts
• Took charge of two production sections (9 road board and pillar), producing 60,000 tons a month totalling 720,000 tons a year per section
• Each section used a Joy HM31 AA continuous miner, three 16SC12 Joy scuttle cars, one Fletcher roof bolter, one Phillips battery operated scoop, one buffalo feeder breaker, one Eimco LHD, and one out bye crew doing all drilling, blasting, loading, and supporting of dykes and faults
• Responsible for safety of staff, production / all support work / ventilation, section belts, main conveyer belts, stone dusting operations, and in bye and out bye sections while ensuring all legal and mine standards were followed
2007-2010 MINE OVERSEER
• Similar to roles and responsibilities above
1989-2007 SHIFT OVERSEER
• Similar to role and responsibilities above with exception of overseeing shift lasting nine hours and 45 minutes, working one shift on, one shift off
• Blasting and drilling through coal seams to carefully extract coal while being mindful of safety issues
Education and Qualifications
School: Assessor Course (2012)
Certificate of Competency as a Mine Overseer (2007)
Safety Management Training Course, cum laude (1996)
Blasting Ticket for Fiery Mines (1987)
Matric, Evander High School (1979)
IT Proficiency: Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, & Explorer
Languages: English, Afrikaans, & Zulu
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.