Please refer to cv.
A high energy Business/Engineering Director seeking a leadership position in an organization providing challenges that will impact profitability, improve quality, or improve development efficiency. Proven leader in the area of product development, quality/profit improvement, organizational development, and adoption on Six Sigma philosophies. Background includes full P&L management with leadership of engineering, quality, and business development for small and medium sized global business units. International location experience includes various automotive products. Whether helping to grow a small organization or improve efficiency in a larger setting, my strength has been recognizing and making clear organizational targets and putting in place the right structure and processes to achieve them. I am currently seeking opportunities in Europe.
MAGNETI MARELLI, Auburn Hills, MI
2011 to Present
Managing Director, NAFTA Electronics R&D, Auburn Hills, MI
Responsible for growing and improving the efficiency of the North American (NA) Electronics product development organization. Portfolio includes infotainment, telematics, and cluster products. Direct reports have included program management and engineering for automotive and commercial vehicle products. Headquarters resides in Venaria, Italy.
• Managed integration of multiple R&D organizations resulting in reduced size and functional expertise supporting infotainment, telematics, and cluster business lines. Organization includes 50 engineers providing hardware, software, mechanical, functional validation, and optical functions.
• Adjusted organization, processes, and strategies to better align with headquarters and created opportunities to gain tighter personal relationships amongst global engineering resources.
• Re-organizing and establishing new leadership structure to handle first time US-led global development projects.
• Strengthened program management position by simplifying processes, increasing financial responsibility and moving some activities to other areas of the organization.
• Leading early adoption of Automotive Spice Level 2 for cluster development program.
• Leading NAFTA-wide Design for Six Sigma initiative. Achievements in first 4 months have been an increase in training participation from 4% to 12% of the Auburn Hills population and increase of proposed projects from 3 to 20. Developing Master Black Belt program.
• Leading Advanced Development group for NAFTA Infotainment products.
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT: ENERGY INDUSTRY
2009 to 2011
Consultant with the Galvin Electricity Initiative, a non-profit organization started by Motorola’s past CEO Bob Galvin to transfer Automotive Product Quality Processes to the Energy Production / Delivery Market.
• Provided consultation support to increase reliability of electricity delivery by accelerating the utility industry’s adoption of Six Sigma and other related quality processes.
• Provided recommendations regarding the use of regulatory policy and electricity rate plans to improve system reliability, cost of delivery, and reduction of load.
• Led studies and recommendations regarding municipalization of electric utilities.
CONTINENTAL AG, Various locations
1994 to 2008
Managing Director, Commercial Vehicle Powertrain Controls, Deer Park, IL (2003-2008)
Accountable for $180M global business focusing on the development and manufacture of sophisticated electronics for engine combustion / emission controls with a team consisting > 150 direct/indirect reporting team members in domestic and international locations.
• Provided direct management of program managers, engineering ($17M budget), and sales with additional coordination of quality, finance, purchasing, and high volume electronics manufacturing functions. Responsible for profitability, growth strategy, technology and customer relationships.
• Formed advanced development team to bring new technologies to market.
• Established and developed program management / engineering teams in US, Germany and China. Engineering teams included hardware, software, mechanical, and functional validation disciplines.
• Leveraged expert knowledge of Stage-gate (Tollgate) methodologies to drive improvements in project management techniques, organizational efficiency and product quality.
• Reduced field failures 82% (parts per million) over 2 years, reduced warranty/scrap costs 47%, and received a number of customer awards for product development and quality by implementing Six Sigma / supplier improvement projects, organizational changes, and focused problem solving process.
• Initiated a divestiture of $8M of the portfolio due to manufacturing constraints to allow for growth in other product areas. Worked with the customer to transition the manufacturing to a different supplier.
• Expanded company capability through development leadership of Motorola’s first modern engine management solution (algorithms / software) and identification / negotiation of external IP technology.
• Prioritized leadership and career development for key employees as an instrument for building an effective and self-sustaining organization.
Senior Program Manager, Stotfold GBR and Munich DEU
Accountable for ‘cradle to grave’ product development and manufacturing of European passenger car engine and steering electronic control product line.
• Co-led transition of company’s automotive headquarters from Stotfold, England to Munich, Germany.
• Independently created and led training program targeting program management, processes, tools, and interdepartmental coordination for new constructed Munich program teams.
• Awarded two electronic control products by leading proposal solution that included creative integration of custom ICs, software, and advanced technology algorithms.
Program Manager, Powertrain Controls, Northbrook, IL
Design Team Leader and Engineer
Earned rapidly increasing responsibilities through ability to quickly determine underlying issues to complicated problems and devising creative solutions.
• Within six months of company hire, directed quote activity for and was awarded engine control contract for company’s first modern engine control software contract.
• Recipient of Supplier of Year Award (given to top 1% of suppliers) two years in a row for development and launch quality of this product.
GE AIRCRAFT CONTROLS, Binghamton, NY
1990 to 1994
Leading supplier of passenger and military engine and flight controls.
• Held responsibilities in electrical/software design, test, and sales as part of GE Training Program.
MSEE, Binghamton University; Binghamton, New York; 1994
BSEE, Purdue University; West Lafayette, Indiana; 1990
Specialised Leadership Training
Corporate Executive Development Program with Ashridge Business School part-time program (2007-2008)
– Ashridge Business School (Number 1 School in UK for tailored executive programs, 2008 Financial Times)
Leadership Institute with Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) (2004)
– CCL (listed as a Top 10 Provider of Executive Education four (4) years in a row, 2008 Financial Times)
GE, Highly Selective Edison Advanced Course and A/B/C Graduate (1990-1994)
Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma, ISO, QS9000 and Lean Manufacturing Training
Conversational German and basic Spanish
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.