I have a Baccalaureate Degree - Marine Engineering and am currently completing my MBA with 30 years’ experience as a Shipyard and Production/Operations Manager. I have led large teams and managed multi-million dollar budgets to design and build offshore marine structures and commercial, Defence, and luxury vessels valued up to $150M. I am motivated and results-oriented with experience working across a variety of challenging and dynamic environments in Australia, USA, Asia and the M/East.
ü Qualifications – currently completing MBA; with Bachelor of Science (Marine Engineering), and several other relevant certifications (listed in detail at back)
ü Commercial Acumen – in-depth knowledge of business functions associated with marine engineering; financial acumen and experience as profit centre head, overseeing revenue activities, budgets and profit
ü Shipyard Expertise – experience managing shipyards, construction, repair and refit of major commercial vessel builds and commercial offshore structures (with teams of up to 500) – qualified ship builder with adherence to the most stringent international standards
ü Leadership – recruiting, leading, coaching, mentoring and performance managing large teams
ü Project Management -formal qualifications with experience managing project design, planning, scope of works, specifications, deliverables in accordance with client contracts (time, quality and budget/cost control)
ü Contract Management – negotiating/managing multi-million dollar contracts; ensuring delivery to SLAs
ü Broad Maritime Expertise – sea going experience as marine engineer, production, welding, fabrication skills design, project management, construction, operations, outfitting, procurement, issue resolution, client liaison.
ü Marine Engineering -experience as Engineering Officer of the Watch on Fremantle Class Patrol Boats, 2IC of boiler room/engine room Fleet Supply Ship, Fleet Maintainer and Welder – Fremantle Class patrol boats
ü Safety – strong knowledge of, and strict adherence to, site safety, quality and environmental policies. Experience leading achievement of ISO certification for project management and quality departments
ü Communication & Interpersonal – collaborative approach liaising in complex multi-stakeholder environments to achieve optimum project outcomes, involvement in tendering, client liaison, reporting etc.
ü Change Management – experienced manager of restructuring, process re-development and standardization
ü Problem Solving – ability to analyse issues from all angles, with a practical and first principles approach, incorporating other parties where appropriate to ensure all possible scenarios are considered
ü Cultural Acumen – worked in challenging, dynamic and stressful environments in various countries including Australia, the USA, Vietnam and Abu Dhabi – success leading local and ex-pat teams
ü Business Development – cultivated new business opportunities through effective networking, identification of referral sources and ongoing development of relationships with current customers
ü Organised – with flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
Current Masters Business Administration (MBA) – RMIT (expected completion by end 2016)
2006 Baccalaureate Degree – Marine Engineering – Maine Maritime Academy, Castine Maine, USA
2000 Certificate IV Project Management – Australian Institute of Management, Perth, Western Australia
1998 Certificate IV Ship Knowledge for Shipbuilders – TAFE, Perth, Western Australia
1992 Advanced Certificate in Marine Propulsion Maintenance – Department of Defence, Canberra ACT
1992 Advanced Certificate in Welding High Pressure Systems – Department of Defence, Canberra ACT
1990 Advanced Certificate Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – RMIT, Melbourne Victoria
1987 Main Propulsion Operators Certificate – Department of Defence, Canberra ACT
1985 Auxiliary Machinery Operators Certificate – Department of Defence, Canberra ACT
1985 Ships Diver – Department of Defence (Navy), Sydney NSW
1985 Shipwright Tradesman Certificate – Sydney Technical College, Sydney NSW
AUGUST 2012 – CURRENT
Production/Operations Manager / Topaz Energy and Marine, UAE
Leading offshore support vessel company providing marine solutions to the global energy industry.
● Manage operations for production and project management departments to ensure on time/budget delivery of new build and repair activities valued up to $50M – includes port infrastructure and offshore platform structural projects, all shipyard planning/organizing of manpower, infrastructure planning, consumables and purchasing of material and services, safety procedures, and budgets/profitability for yard and project expenditure
● Contribute to strategic and long term planning initiatives; as well as succession planning and development of customer focused strategies together with other senior management team members
● Manage a total team of 500 production and management staff including departmental and project managers, QA/QC, security, procurement and contract staff – includes recruitment, training, coaching, mentoring and performance management
● Manage yard safety and ensure ongoing compliance with all Safety, Quality and Environmental Policies
● Manage business development (including complex planning and execution), client liaison and commercial contract negotiation for major procurement, equipment and subcontracts – valued up to $15M
● Restructured the production department resulting in reduced production costs and increased productivity
● Established a procedure driven culture and new structured approach to project management – ensured projects delivered in accordance with customer and contractual requirements
● Developed and maintained strong relationships with all customers ensuring improved understanding of company’s capability and expertise – achieved significant additional business as a result
JUNE 2010 – AUGUST 2012
Senior Manager Projects / Strategic Marine, Vung Tau, Vietnam
Western Australian-based shipbuilding company with facilities in Singapore, Australia and Vietnam.
● A member of the Board of Management and deputized for General Manager – provided financial approval/sign off on shipyard expenditure; acted as a member of the ISO Committee, prepared and represented the Company in Arbitration court, managed finances
● Member of the Australian Chamber of Commerce (Vietnam)
● As Senior Project Manager, managed day to day operations for project and planning departments – led successful delivery of shipbuilding and general fabrication contracts including staff recruitment and management, financial budgeting, reporting, and cash flow management
● As Senior Manager Quality, managed performance, administration and recruitment/training of quality team, developed quality management procedures and documentation for new business system
● Successfully led both the project management and quality departments to ISO certification
OCTOBER 2006 – JUNE 2010
Project Manager / Trinity Yachts, Gulfport Mississippi USA
One of the world’s elite builders of custom superyachts with an emphasis on European quality, steel and aluminum constructions that fulfill its customers’ unique cruising desires.
● Managed delivery of several luxury yachts (up to 188 foot) – included sub-contractor management, technical compliance to contract/specification/scope of work, client liaison, site visits and sea trials, pre shipment inspections, contract negotiations, equipment negotiation/procurement, budgeting/cost control
SEPTEMBER 2003 – OCTOBER 2006
Project Technical& Construction Manager, Bid Manager / Austal Ships, Australia & USA
Australian company specialising in the design and construction of passenger and freight ferries, luxury yachts and military vessels.
● Worked on a broad range of major ship building projects in Western Australia and Mobile Alabama, USA
● Provided bid management on 47.5 m High Speed Passenger Ferries (10 ship Contract) in Western Australia (for Venetian Marketing Services Limited) – included audit review of marketing department’s contract stage construction budget, specification and contract review
● Project Manager for Construction and Technical bid on 79m High Speed Passenger/Vehicle Ferry (WA)
● Managed construction of for two x 107m high-speed passenger/vehicle ferries for Hawaii Superferry Inc -included technical compliance to contract/specification, client liaison, contract negotiation, contract modification/issues management, technical acceptance, budget adherence, cost control, risk mitigation etc.
● Developed Shipyard to ensure capability to deliver Littoral 127m Combat Ship (LCS) for the United States Navy – included all shipyard activities for Production Readiness Review and Final Contract Design Review
● Managed construction of 10 x 37m Patrol Boats for Ministry of Defense (Republic of Yemen) – included technical compliance to contract/specification, client liaison, contract negotiation, modifications and compliance; and coordination of all VIP visits from Yemeni Officials
● Managed construction of two motor yachts at Oceanfast (Austal subsidiary)
● Project Construction Manager (Volunteer) – Hurricane Katrina relief effort (Austal USA) (2005)
● Project Construction Manager – AUSTAL Ships, Raitaia, Tahiti (2003)
● Project Coordinator – Oceanfast Henderson, Western Australia (2001-2003)
● Senior Design Draftsman (High Speed Ferry Div) – Austal Ships Henderson, Western Australia (1998-2001)
● Design Draftsman (High Speed Ferry Div) – Austal Ships Henderson, Western Australia (1997-1998)
● Plasma Department, Components Division – Austal Ships Henderson, Western Australia (1996-1997)
● Team Leader Fabrication Department – VIKAL International, Henderson Australia (1995-1996)
● Marine Engineer & Engineering Officer – Royal Australian Navy (1983-1992 )
● Shipright/Apprentice Ship Builder – Sydney Technical College (1981-1983)
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.