A customer focused Rail Professional, with over 15 years train operations, planning, engineering and managerial experience; I have excellent knowledge of train-borne railway infrastructure measurement and inspection activities and operational planning requirements. A proven track record of building solid working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers, I have utilised my skills and experience to bring about improvements to the delivery of our services to our customers.
A customer focused Rail Professional, with over 15 years on train operations, planning, engineering and managerial experience; I have excellent knowledge of train-borne railway infrastructure measurement and inspection activities and operational planning requirements. A proven track record of building solid working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers, I have utilised my skills and experience to bring about improvements to the delivery of our services to our customers. With a strong commitment to getting the job done I now seek to move into a role where I can expand and develop my skills and experience further.
Skills & Experience
Management Skills and Experience
• Led and directed teams in specialised train operations and train planning functions
• Carried out regular performance reviews and appraisals with a proven track record in performance management and managing employees with health and well-being issues
• Managed daily operations to ensure timely delivery rail infrastructure measurement train data.
• Set up processes to monitor and manage performance of operations and delivery
• Undertook operational and competency assessments of our On Train Technicians in line with our competence assurance process
• Whilst in the role of Delivery Manager, I saw a significant improvement in my team’s employee engagement score
• Carried out mandated safety inspections.
• Undertook the development, implementation and continual improvement of relevant standards, processes and procedures
Engineering Skills and Experience
• Responsible for performing fault diagnosis, maintenance, modification, rectification and functional testing across varied pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical and structural systems
• Carried out routine maintenance and calibration processes on specialised instrumented measurement systems. These systems being optical, electronic and industrial PC based
• Supported the introduction of new instrumentation and PC systems onto the train-borne platforms
• Performing fault diagnosis, maintenance, modification and rectification of aircraft systems and airframes
• Experienced in the analysis of specialised data outputs to inform of exceedances and create written reports
Planning Skills and Experience
• Led the planning strategy for the introduction of new services and technologies into Network Rail’s Infrastructure Measurement fleet. The most prominent being Plain Line Pattern Recognition and new Ultrasonic trains
• Led the complete revision of Network Rail’s Track Recording, Overhead Line and newly introduced Plain Line Pattern Recognition monitoring plans, to combine these services that will see business benefits of around £5m per annum
• I am the lead specialist in a project that is reviewing and re-writing the Ultrasonic Test Train plan. Once complete the business will realise cost efficiencies in excess of £1 million
• Optimise delivery of rail infrastructure inspection regimes using the possession planning and Network Access Code (from short term plans through to working timetable), co-ordinating plans with train operators, and other internal functions
• Continually reviewing plans to re-schedule priorities as required to achieve the most efficient outcome to the local and wider business areas within the company
Stakeholder and Supplier Engagement Skills and Experience
• Excellent relationship-building skills developed through working cross-functionally across different business areas to ensure successful delivery of data from Network Rail’s dedicated fleet of rail infrastructure monitoring trains
• Organised and chaired regular meetings with both stakeholders and suppliers, to review and monitor operational and delivery performance.
• Set up workshops for our teams to improve their business communication skills when conducting stakeholder management activities
• Working across various functions, new services and capabilities have been introduced to allow our stakeholders to improve their own business plans and efficiencies
• Influenced and negotiated with various functions to coordinate the development of timetable plans with Network Rail planning units.
October 2012 to Present
Planning and Logistics Manager
Managing a dedicated planning team my role is to ensure that Network Rail’s dedicated fleet of Infrastructure Measurement trains are planned to correct mandated frequencies to maintain compliance levels for a safe efficient railway. Key responsibilities include:
• Liaising closely with stakeholders and suppliers to negotiate and manage the access strategy for Infrastructure Measurement trains to the rail network in accordance with the network code
• Develop and implement the railway industry strategy for infrastructure monitoring train network access by managing the competing demands of examination regimes, planning constraints and train operations
• Provide specialist support on train planning processes and access regimes across Engineering, identifying and anticipating influences of changes on strategic targets.
• Coordinate the planning of the operation of examination trains (including high level train path requirements), distributing plans to the appropriate bodies in a quality and timely fashion such that use of resources is maximised.
January 2010 to October 2012
Led a dedicated team of staff, working across the UK rail network, I was accountable for managing the daily infrastructure monitoring train data collection activities to achieve business and functional objectives and meet key performance measures.
Key Responsibilities included:
• Managed the delivery of train-borne examination data collection activities and safety inspections in compliance with the Railway Group and Company Standards
• Act as the business specialist on train-borne infrastructure data measurement techniques, systems and outputs; provide technical expertise to customers and stakeholders
• Support the validation, calibration, product acceptance and implementation of new and existing examination technologies, systems and vehicles
• Identified and exploited processes and equipment to improve cost effectiveness and enhance the working environments
July 2000 to January 2010
On Train Technician
Manage the on train data collection processes and delivery of valid data in line with current standards and local procedures. Maintained and routinely calibrated all technical equipment in compliance with Railway Group & Company Standards.
Key Responsibilities included:
• Identification, verification and recording all infrastructure defects and faults presented by the on-train systems and reporting of defects and faults to the nominated control centres
• Manage the calibration of monitoring and test equipment to defined standards and undertake functional checks, maintaining records on a daily basis
• Manage the delivery of valid data in a timely fashion to relevant stakeholders
• Carried out analysis and verification of track geometry and overhead line data to determine its validity and to compile reports
Royal Air Force May
1991 to July 2000
Aircraft Engineering Technician
Execute the routine maintenance requirements on, Tornado and Hawk aircraft, in line with mandated standards, processes and procedures.
Key Responsibilities included:
• Performing fault diagnosis, maintenance, modification and rectification aircraft systems and airframes
• Functional testing, setting up and adjustment of aircraft systems
• Organising and planning work schemes for scheduled aircraft servicing
• Carried out functional testing of aircraft systems
• Carried out flight line operational duties including aircraft turn round inspections, aircraft marshalling and refuelling.
Education & Training
Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering, Hull College, June 2009
Higher National Certificate in Engineering, Blackburn College, August 2003
National Certificate in Engineering, Royal Air Force Halton, December 1994,
City and Guilds, in Mechanical Skills Specialism, Royal Air Force, Halton, October 1994
City and Guilds, in Basic Engineering Competences, Royal Air Force Halton, March 1992
National Vocational Qualification, in Engineering Maintenance (Aircraft Engineering Maintenance, Halton College, March 1997
GCSE, in Mathematics, Pingle Secondary School, July 1990
GCSE, in English, Granville Secondary School, July 1990
Personal Track Safety, Derby Training Centre
Track Maintenance Engineers Course, Derby Training Centre
Overhead Line Equipment Appreciation Course, Derby Training Centre
Train Operations Rules course, Derby Training Centre
Front Line Leadership Course, Network Rail Training Centre, Westwood
Foundation Management Skills Course, Network Rail Training Centre, Westwood
Reading, motorsport, regular gym attendance, walking, general interest in aviation and aircraft.
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.