A dedicated, determined, goal-oriented postgraduate with a background in networking and systems administration; extensive hands-on experience in designing, implementing and maintaining ISP and enterprise networks; technically skilled in designing, installing, configuring and maintaining complex routed LAN and WAN networks; able to work independently as well as in a team; effective communication, organization, time management, social intelligence, stress management and problem solving skills.
2011 – 2012
Master of Networking & Systems Administration
Charles Sturt University, Australia
Charles Sturt University, Australia
Graduate Certificate in Networking & Systems Administration
BSc. in Computer Science (IT) Inc.
University of Port Elizabeth, South Africa
BCom. (Computer Science) Inc.
Rhodes University, South Africa
• Received multiple awards on academic level, including multiple first class positions.
• Achieved an A aggregate on the NSC and received multiple bursaries to study at University.
• CCIE (Service Provider Lab)
• CCIE (Routing & Switching Lab)
• IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers – Member #91140384
• ISOC – Internet Society – Member #234025
Professional Experience / Career Profile
Sep. 2010 – Present
Principal Network Engineer
Business Connexion, South Africa
Business Connexion is a Cisco Gold partner that employs 7000+ staff with offices in the EMEA theatre.
Network Consultant 40%
Network Architect 40%
Pre and Post sales Engineer 20%
• Researches and consults on networking architecture, strategy and technologies to prominent financial institutions, tertiary education institutions, national retailers and local government.
• Mentors members of Cisco Network Services team; lead network architect for a financial institute with 15, 000 corporate users; final tier support for client network systems, totaling approximately 100000+ corporate users.
• Conducts proof of concepts; analyzes problems and implements and manages best practices solutions; studies, evaluates, reports and presents data in decision ready format.
• Collaborates with engagement teams on tenders, proposals, presentations and strategic initiatives; compiles high and low level designs, deployment guides, roadmaps and business cases.
• Trusted advisor, frequent accolades from multiple clients
• Performance awards
• Go-to person for collaboration on tenders and proposals.
Nov. 2006 – Sep. 2010
Senior Network Engineer
MWEB, South Africa
MWEB is a leading Internet Service Provider in South Africa and is a subsidiary of Naspers.
• Designed, built, executed, improved and maintained internet service provider network infrastructure, architecture and carrier migrations, ISP backbone , peering, access, campus, metropolitan and wide area MPLS networks and datacenters; handled radius authentication and accounting solution for approximately 200,000 consumer clients; developed lawful interception infrastructure, architecture and traffic engineering.
• Researched, evaluated and built proof of concept models; analyzed network performance for optimization and improvement; planned and executed best practices.
• Collaborated with various teams on product offerings and technical solutions; initiated software development of numerous utilities that add additional network monitoring, network management, network visibility and business intelligence capabilities; performed troubleshooting and provided final tier support for network related problems.
• Built one of South Africa’s largest IP networks, which changed the broadband landscape in South Africa.
• Go-to person for various products and systems.
Jun. 2005 – Nov. 2006
Senior Network Engineer
State Information Technology Agency, South Africa
SITA is the IT business for the largest consumer of IT products and services in SA – the Government.
• Maintained network uptime and availability for 3,500 enterprise end users on the Metropolitan and Campus Network within Service Level Agreements (SLA); provided first, second and third-line support of Metropolitan, Campus and Datacenter Networks.
• Managed configuration and maintenance of the metro access network fiber infrastructure, OSPSF routing protocol design, Layer2 design of core, distribution and access, quality of service and security design, high availability and redundancy design; monitored and analyzed for proactive fault resolution.
• Provided network capacity management reporting and graphing; network traffic management, monitoring, analysis, scripting and reporting with UNIX, SNMP, MRTG, Squid Proxy, Snort, Ethereal, IPtables, NAT, PAT.
• Collaborated on projects that shaped the future of the Campus and Metropolitan network.
Sep. 2004 – Jun. 2005
Gamdak Internet, South Africa
• Network Engineering:
o Design, Implementation and operations of ISP network infrastructure: Cisco, Lucent, DSL, Wireless DSL, VPN, Remote Access, Dialup and Leased Line, Firewalls, Radius, Diginet, WAN
• System Administration:
o Linux, Unix, Windows, Mail, Web Hosting, FTP, DNS, MRTG, SNMP, Squid, Radius Authentication & Accounting, SQL
• Established a Greenfields Internet Service Provider startup.
• Developed Internet solutions and ensured constant improvement.
• Grew ISP to self sustain and support existing technology businesses.
Nov. 2001 – Aug. 2004 Systems Administrator
Sainet Internet, South Africa
• Handled network engineering to include the implementation and operations of ISP network infrastructure using Cisco, Lucent, SDSL, ADSL, VPN, Remote Access, Dialup and Leased Line, Firewalls, Diginet, WAN
• Performed system administration for the following: Linux, UNIX, Windows, Mail, Web Hosting, FTP, DNS, MRTG, SNMP, Squid, and Radius.
• Handled ISP networks and systems, and establishing a green fields wireless ISP
• Performed Day-to-day management of the Port Elizabeth branch from 2003.
• Established a reseller program, which lead to consistent subscriber number growth.
Additional Skills Training:
2012 Riverbed Certified Solutions Professional (RCSP)
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert #21500 (CCIE) (Service Provider Lab)
Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional (CCIP)
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert #21500 (CCIE) Routing & Switching Lab
Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
2005 Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
• Routing : BGP, MPLS, OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS, RIP
• Switching: STP’s, VTP, L2/L3 VLANs, SPAN, VACL, L2 Security etc
• WAN Technologies: Diginet, DSL, VPN, Wi-Fi, Carrier Ethernet
• Service Provider Remote Access Networks
• Load Balancing / High Availability: Cisco SLB & CSM, L2 802.1ax, Anicast, VRRP, HSRP
• Wireless: Wimax, WISP, WLSE, WDS, WPA2, WLC
• Cisco Switches: Catalyst, Nexus, Metro
• Cisco Routers: ISR, ASR, GSR, CRS
• Network Monitoring: SNMP, MRTG, NetFlow, IP SLA, Perl etc
• Authentication: Radius, Tacacs, Cisco ACS, Coding Perl Customizations
• ISP Systems Administration: HTTP, Apache, DNS, Mail, SPAM, MySQL etc
• Network Management: Development, SNMP, MRTG, NetFlow, IP SLA, Perl etc
• VPN: MPLS, ATOM, L2TP, VPLS, GRE, PPPOE, IPSEC, PPTP
• Scripting: Perl, BASH, Visual Basic, Java, C/C++, CUDA, HTML
• Security: Cisco ASA/FWSM/IDS/IPS/ACS, IPtables, Snort, Hardening,
• Proxy Caching Servers : Squid, WCCP, PeerApp
• Subscriber Management: Authentication, Accounting, Cisco SM-SCE
• Bandwidth Optimization : Cisco WAAS, Riverbed RCSP, Juniper, Expand ECCP
• Invited speaker at an IQPC conference on Bandwidth Optimization over Mobile Networks.
• Hobbyist programmer, interested in developing network applications.
• Learning Nvidia CUDA programming in order to improve proficiency in C as well as explore the potential of GPU processing power in a networking context.
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.