I am a Control Systems Engineer currently based in the UK, who is looking to move abroad with my family. I have a Masters in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, with 8 years industry experience, ranging from offshore oil & gas, power electronics and renewable energy.
I am a skilled individual in technical roles, who enjoys continuous learning, technical design and problem solving both professionally, and at home. The latest manifestation of this outside of work has been passing the RCF Full examination to gain the OFCOM Full Amateur radio licence.
In my final year of University I developed excellent time management skills, working as a group to deliver the final year project, finishing my final exams, and working part time at both Narec and Newcastle University Students Union.
After much consideration I have decided I would like to relocate internationally.
Proficient in a number of programming languages including:
• Common IEC 61131-3 style PLC Environments
Including Siemens, Allen Bradley, Modicon and Bachmann
• C, and Microsoft .Net languages
• Some experience in embedded systems (PIC microcontrollers)
Proficient in Microsoft Office, including MS Project and MS Visio.
Design of SCADA HMI systems in packages such as Citect and Wonderware.
Design of Data Acquisition systems – National Instruments platforms.
Simulation of systems using Matlab/Simulink.
Selection and commissioning of Variable Speed Drive Systems, and switchgear.
Design and build of Panels, including inclusion of Drives and similar power electronic systems. Design of control software, including systems for prototype marine devices.
Management of mixed skilled Technician staff to deliver projects on time.
Production of appropriate project documentation including:
• Electrical CAD drawings and Circuit Schematics (Promis-e)
• Functional and Software design specifications.
• Software documentation
• Training Manuals for system operators
Commissioning and fault finding in field, as part of a team and alone.
Delivery of projects under tight specifications such as ISO17025, and ISO9001.
Working knowledge of the requirements for design and testing wind turbines to the specification ISO61400.
Experience of testing, including to ISO17025 in the following fields:
• G83/G59 type approval for grid connection of power generation devices
• MCS testing of small wind turbine systems for feed in tariff
• Testing of wind turbine blades in static and fatigue – Including knowledge of testing composite materials.
Full, clean UK driving Licence and own car.
IHC Engineering Business Ltd
Control Systems Engineer
Present Working in the Systems group, delivering PLC/SCADA control systems, primarily on the Siemens S7 platform including:
• Commissioning of Basket carousel in Shanghai, China
• Software and design of novel subsea tracked vehicle
• Commissioning of 550 tonne flexlay system
Turbo Power Systems
Systems Integration Engineer
10/2011 – 05/2013
Working within the Power Electronics Engineering department, primarily within high speed machines products, key projects including:
• Integration of 800kW High speed motor designed by a separate company division with Power Electronics division equipment.
• Design of Ancillary systems for 800kW Marine drive project.
• On site fault finding of Electrical Noise issues.
• EMC Testing for CE certification.
National Renewable Energy Centre (Narec)
Power and Control Engineer
07/2008 – 10/2011
July 2007 – July 2008 Student Intern Initially employed at Narec as a student intern, delivering upgrades to the in-house project data management system and business processes, as well as delivering a number of Electrical Projects. Six Months Part time delivering control and instrumentation system for Prototype Tidal Turbine. Offered a full-time contract in 2008 on the strength of my previous work. Since then, key projects have included:
• Delivery of new (wind) Blade Test control system, including internal training on an Allen Bradley platform.
• Development of novel hydraulic Marine Blade Test rig on Bachmann platform
• Control System and Test Equipment for Wave Energy Converter on Allen Bradley platform
• Novel Control system, and Instrumentation package for Tidal and Wave Energy Devices, including grid connection requirements up to 11kV
• MCS certification of small wind Turbines
Participation in Health and Safety Consultative Forum, requiring working knowledge of current health and safety regulations.
Newcastle University Students Union
09/2005 – 12/2008
Delivery of technical aspects of club nights, theatre shows, and musical concerts.
Work to Health and Safety Guidelines including Working at Height.
Temporary signal and power installations for moving rigs.
Maintenance and repair of complex moving fixtures.
Working as part of a mixed skill team on large events, or alone on smaller club nights.
None Relevant positions Staff Force Agency: 07/2005 – 09/2005 06/2006 – 09/2006
Pertemps Agency: 07/2004 – 09/2004 12/2004 – 12/2004
Qualifications & Education
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng (Hons) 2:1.
Including specialisation in Electrical Machines, Power Electronic Drives, and Control Systems.
Dissertation “Sensor-less Machine Control using the Saturation Position”.
Shelley High School
Huddersfield Road, Shelley, Huddersfield, HD8 8NL Three A Levels:
Mathematics C, Physics C, Chemistry D
Darton High School, Churchfield Lane, Kexborough, Barnsley, S75 5EW
9½ Passed GCSE’s including:
Science Double Award A, Mathematics A, English Language B, Systems Technology B
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.