An accomplished and knowledgeable Engineering and Project Management Professional with Chartered Engineer status and a wealth of experience in FEED, basic and detailed design, construction supervision, project engineering and the management of new-builds, refits and conversions of vessels and rigs.
Qualifications & Education
Chartered Engineer British Engineering Council through the IMarEST, UK 2014
Incorporated Engineer British Engineering Council through the IMarEST, UK 2013
BEng (Hons) Open University, UK Ongoing
Scientific Lyceum Diploma Italy 1985
Construction Management Supervises construction and provides input for construction methodologies
Stakeholder Management Develops and manages key strategic relationships to benefit all stakeholders
Project Management Proven ability to manage complex projects from drawing board to completion
Design Management Develops innovative solutions and resolutely manages all phases of design
People Management Experienced at recruiting, training, supervising and motivating skilled workers
Team Leadership Strong and decisive leadership of multi-cultural and multi-disciplined teams
Health and Safety Excellent safety record ensuring enforcement of health & safety procedures
Quality Control Regular inspections and audits to ensure compliance with quality standards
Ship building Extensive experience with new building and conversion engineering and project management in compliance with the rules of all major Classification Societies (DNV, ABS, LR, BV, RINa, GL) and several flag states including Germany, Brasil, South Africa, UK, Bermuda, Bahamas, Liberia, St Vincent, USA and Italy
Cost Control Constantly monitors and tracks costs to achieve maximum profit on every job
Compliance Ensures adherence to Classification societies and Flag Administration regulations, and current industry standards
Languages English & Italian (fluent), Slovenian, French and German (good)
7/2013 – present
Perenco, France Senior Project Engineer
Leading the conceptual design development for a new build FPSO to be installed on the Yombo field, Congo
• Advising the client on the most reliable technical solutions required to achieve a twenty-years life without dry-docking projected for the vessel
• Assisting with selection of engineering contractors and shipyard with adequate capabilities
• Selecting equipment manufacturers based on previous project experience
10/2012 – 6/2013Technip, Malaysia Project Engineering Manager
Steered a multi-disciplined team of engineers in the FEED review and basic design of the conversion of a double hull Aframax tanker into FPSO Bukit Tua, for M3NERGY-Petronas.
Succeeded in using almost exclusively local workforce despite the lack of offshore experience locally
4/2012 – 10/2012
ExxonMobil, UAE Project Engineer
Led a multi-disciplined team of staff and contractors in the design of the conversion of two Aframax tankers to Modular Capture Vessels satisfying ABS and USCG requirements in the frame of the MWCS project
• Involved modifications to the ship structures, and to the characteristics of the main engine
• Installation of a dedicated module on the poop deck for the newly required generating capacity
• Four retractable azimuth thrusters in dedicated compartments installed inside the cargo tanks
• Installation of a pipe rack, and foundations for removable topsides modules on the main deck
The first two ships combining the characteristics of a FPSO and a Dynamically Positioned vessel
Resolved issues in accordance with USCG requirements and the company standards of 5 oil majors
2011 – 4/2012
Bechtel, Italy Project Engineer EIT
Managed the electrical discipline within the PMT overseeing the EPC contractor for Stage 3 of Borouge (ADNOC Group) petrochemical plant in Al Ruwais, UAE
Undertook this project to assess the differences between the petrochemical industry offshore and onshore, and concluded that as very little changes I can consider myself up to date with both
2010 – 2011
Allseas Engineering, The Netherlands Principal E&I Engineer
Assessed and completed a detailed design to Norsok standards for the DP3 heavy-lift pipelay vessel Pieter Schelte, including reworking some basic design criteria related to the DP system and the pipe-lay tensioning system, defining construction engineering packages for electrical, instrumentation, telecoms and vessel safety disciplines.
The Pieter Schelte, once operational, will be the largest pipelay vessel in the world, and the only existing platform decommissioning vessel able to remove topsides and jacket in a single journey, fitted with a DP system exceeding the requirements of Class 3.
2009 – 2010
Noble Denton, UAE Principal DP Services Engineer
Undertook FMEAs and audits of DP systems, as well as annual and suitability trials, design reviews and appraisals, whilst managing construction and commissioning of projects across the MENA region and Japan
• Managed CMIDs, incident investigations, pre-purchase and pre-charter surveys, periodic class surveys as well as providing technical support for the preparation of proposals and tenders for various clients in the UAE and abroad.
• Project managed construction of four DP2 AHTS by Universal shipyard, Yokohama for Sanko Shipping
• Provided technical support to the upgrade of two jackup drilling rigs in Mussafah, UAE, and to the owner of two DP2 Diver-support PSVs built at Dalian, China.
• Design review of the marine systems and HV power generation for an FPSO under development at Wison Offshore in Nantong, China.
• Planning and project management support to dry-docking of pipelay vessel Audacia for Allseas.
• Technical and project management support to McDermott for the refurbishment and upgrade of their DB50 and Agile vessels
• Development and review of SIMOPS and ERP plans on behalf of various Operators and EPCs.
Developed a broad working knowledge of marine warranty surveys and quality assurance
Project managed a good number of shipbuilding projects of various size.
2008 – 2009
Technip, France Project Engineer E&I
Coordinated the basic and detailed design of electrical, control, instrumentation and safety systems for a new-build DP2 deep-sea flexible pipelay vessel for Petrobras, with K-lay and J-lay systems, and ROVs fitted with an electric-driven tensioning system.
Development and implementation of the first fully electric flexible pipe lay system with active front-end drives able to feed the recuperated energy into the vessel main electric network
2008 – 2008
Babcock Marine, UK Lead E&I Engineer
Completed basic electrical, control and instrumentation system design to Norsok standards for the conversion of several ULCCs including TI Africa, TI Asia, TI Oceania and TI Europa into FSOs on behalf of Maersk Oil Qatar – the largest double-hulled tankers in service ever.
2007 – 2008
SAIPEM, UAE Project Engineer (EIT & Safety)
Managed the principle and detailed design to Norsok standards of electrical, instrumentation, telecoms and safety systems for the DP3 semi-submersible drilling platform Scarabeo 8 for ENI Norge.
• Definition of, basis of design, operating philosophies and technical specifications for all such systems in conjunction with other disciplines and company operations department.
• Evaluation of electro-mechanical equipment for power generation, ship manoeuvring and drilling systems, and their integration in the ship electrical network and control systems.
• Vendor liaison with for integrating owner-supplied VSDs and motors with drilling mechanical equipment.
2007 – 2007
Single Buoy Moorings, Monaco Senior Electrical Engineer
Managed the principle and detailed design of marine, topsides power generation and distribution systems for FPSO BC10 – Espirito Santo for Royal Dutch Shell – first FPSO driving & controlling high voltage ESPs.
• Conducted HAZOP, HAZID, HAZAN, FMECA and SAFOP in collaboration with Shell
• Monitored MV and LV distribution and evaluated suppliers for MV static and rotating electro-mechanical equipment and switchgear
• Managed the electrical and control interface with the subsea part of the field development, including swivel and HV subsea pumps VFDs
• Coordinated the design verification of vessel safety passive and active systems, including structural fire protection, fire control plan and escape plans in accordance to relevant rules.
2005 – 2006
Danieli Officine Meccaniche Spa, Italy Director of Installation & Commissioning
Directed all installation and commissioning activities for international projects in the steel industry, managing a yearly budget of €several hundred-millions, and a multi-cultural staff of 70 employees and 250 consultants
• Contributed to the set-up of various plants for flat and long products in Russia, Kazakhstan, India, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Vietnam, China, Sudan, Brazil, Chile, USA, Canada and Austria
• Reviewed tenders and proposals for the installation and commissioning of systems ahead of client discussions and approval
2003 – 2005
Freelance Engineering Consultant, Italy
Undertook projects for the Italian Navy, including developing principle and detailed design for safety systems within the new aircraft carrier (CVF) ‘Conte di Cavour’ and developing technical specifications for the mid-life upgrade of navigation systems on Maestrale-class frigates
• Uniquely designed safety systems for a naval vessel using commerc shelf technology
• Developed a feasibility and principle design study of a Fire Detection System built in compliance with SOLAS regulations, using non-proprietary protocols and components, for Elesys Ltd
• Researched and identified modifications to be carried out on GT-driven generating sets for Centrax Ltd, to enable their usage on LNG carriers, MODUs and FPSOs, in compliance with industry rules
2000 – 2003
P&O S.N. Co., UK Electrical & Safety Engineering Coordinator
Managed budgets varying between 30 and 50 million pounds for the installation of electrical, automation, safety and telecommunication systems on new-build passenger vessels.
Developed a common user interface for all safety sub-systems on board that became known as Safety Management System (SMS), integrated by a Decision Support System, that has now become a standard in the industry and is being marketed under various names by the major players in the marine control system industry and adopted by all cruise companies.
Managed the agreement with MHI shipyard about the repair measures to be carried out on the Diamond Princess after the fire that severely damaged her at three months from delivery.
Managed the alignment of contractual ship specifications for newbuilds after acquisition of Aida Cruises
Managed several EU-funded R&D projects aimed at developing new functions in safety and navigations systems
Provided project management, planning and technical support for the dry-docking of several company-owned cruise vessels, including class certificate renewals with LRS and USCG
Performed project management functions during the construction of the Golden Princess
1998 – 2000
P&O Cruises, UK Electrical and Safety Surveyor
Surveyed installation of electrical systems on Aurora and Ocean Princess, conducted acceptance tests and trials for electrical/electronic equipment, safety equipment and deck machinery to be installed on a.m. vessel
1999 – 1999
Italian Air Force – 6th Fighter Bomber Sqdn., Italy Snr Pilot Officer – Sqdn Leader
Planning and flying IDS missions on MRCA Tornado aircrafts during “Allied Force” air operations against Serbia
1997 – 1998
Thomas Gregor Associates, USA Site Manager
Managed all aspects of the installation and commissioning of audio and theatrical lighting systems in the theatres of the Grand Princess, including the recruitment and management of local contractors and supervision of the installation of fixed and moving structures to support the theatrical systems.
1995 – 1997
SLIE Srl, Italy Deputy Engineering Manager
Organised and managed a detached technical office, including training of up to 34 staff, to support Fincantieri Marine Group with the engineering of prototype vessels for P&O, Carnival and Disney
1990 – 1995
Measurex Corp., USA Senior Software and Control Engineer
1990 – 1991
Italian Air Force – 50th Autonomous Fighter Bomber Sqdn Snr Pilot Officer – TCO
Planning and flying IDS missions on MRCA Tornado aircrafts in the framework of “Desert Storm” operations against Iraq
1988 – 1990
Tecnopower Srl, Italy Customer Support Service Manager
1987 – 1988
Italian Air Force – 23rd Interceptor Fighter Sqdn., Italy Pilot Officer
Flying CAP missions on Lockeed F-104 in the framework of the NATO integrated air defence as part of my national service
1986 – 1987
Consulenti Associati Sas, Italy Analyst Programmer
1985 – 1986
SIRTI SpA, Italy Field Engineer
Before you fill out our registration form, we feel it necessary to pass on some important information.
After completing our registration process your details are checked over by our Validation Team. Their task is to upload suitable submissions or delete.
Registrations that pass validation automatically produce an online CV Profile. Due to the popularity of our website profiles are widely seen by prospective employers. On a daily basis we receive many Profile enquiries.
By following our guidelines your profile will pass our validation process.
Key points to note
Your aim should be to produce a fantastic online CV Profile.
Our task is to find you meaningful employment.